Monday, May 23, 2011

Catchin' Up

May 22nd, 2011

Ok, I am quite a few days behind, so I am going to go highlight some of the good stuff from the past few days. 

1. The day after I got back from Cotopaxi, I decided to head out to explore Quito to see how much had changed since I had been there the last time.  Really, things seem pretty similar.  On foot, I headed over to the newer part of the city where I had lived before.  I walked through Gringolandia, and found that Amanda and I's DVD lady was still there and in business! After 5 years, she must still be doing well in the bootlegging business (I don't think anyone buys actual DVDs in Ecaudor).  Mongos was still there where we used to get 99 cent drinks and head on to either Karma or the bar on the 2nd floor with pool tables.   I continued east and made my way to Quicentro mall so that I could get some delicious Crepes and Waffles ice cream that we used to get every once in a while (Suzie and Kristin remember!).  I almost didn't recognize the Ecovia buses that we used to take all the time to the stop after Texas Chicken.  They are now almost a deep maroon because of all of the dirt that has collected on them.  I guess that is what happens when all the buses and the majority of the cars in the city spew diesel fumes whenever their engines are revved.  It is weird to think that all of the was 5 years ago.  Wild how time flies.  I wish we could back and do it all over again.  That month was one of the most exciting and fun that I have had in my life, thanks to the awesome people that I was there with (other than the people listed above: Jeaner, Adam, Heather, Lee, the man and legend Spina).

2. I went out with some people from the hostel to Gringolandia later on that night.  We took a "partybus" to get there...which turned out just to be a schoolbus!  We got some interesting looks as we were rolling down the street blaring reggaeton.  I forget how much shadiness there is in Mariscal.  A lot of characters hanging around giving you the stink eye.  Luckily, it is swarmed with cops as well!   A few of us (Seen, Ben, Bryn, and another American girl whose name I can't remember) branched out on our own.   We went to a salsa/dance club called Tequila Sunrise, and then on to a Salsa place called Mayo 68 I think.  I forget how good some people are at salsa and how bad I am at it.  It would be nice to take some more lessons sometime.  I have the rhythm, but I don't have enough of the moves to hold my own!  It was still a really fun night that ended with me mowing down on some delicious french fries in a mayo/hot sauce blend.

3. The next morning was off to Otovalo, a fairly small town with a HUGE market in it on Saturdays.  Really, nearly all of the streets in the town fill with vendors selling anything from arts and crafts to live puppies and chickens.  Bryn, a Canadian sailor chick who was at the hostel and had been out the night before, and I decided to head up together for the day.  The taxi ride out to the bus station where we had to leave from was long and expensive ($8) per Ecuastandards, but it was nice to be able to split it with her.  There was some major traffic going into the city, and that combined with truckjams from all the mountains made the normally hour and a half ride out about 2 and a half.  By the time we got to town and Bryn settled into her hostel, we were both starving!  We headed to the center of the market to devour a $1.25 meal.  Pretty good food and great price.  We then wandered through the market a little bit and searched for some souveneirs.  Since I still have a solid 3 weeks of traveling, I didn't buy too much, except for a cool heat-flattened beer bottle and some baby wear for Mella and Adams forthcoming kid.  I have to say that the things I got are pretty damn cute and I better get a few pictures of the kid with them on.  We got tired of the market pretty quickly and took a bus up to a major leather-producing town of Cotocachi.  You can really tell that leatherworking has been a successful trade for the people of the town.   The houses there are beautiful, the streets clean, and the people are dressed very nicely there.  Bryn was on the prowl for a sleek leather jacket for her bike in the states.  She was in the right place.  The jackets in Cotocachi are slick and made very, very well..not to mention at bargain prices when compared to what you would find in the US or Canada.  She found a couple of coats she liked and got them both because the prices were perfect.  I just tagged along and ate delicious ice cream cones (and the best croissant I have had here!) the whole day, which made me happy.  I found a couple of little leather gifts for a few people that I think they will like.  I had a really good day with Bryn, we got along really well and had the same type of humor.  Very glad to have met her!



Otovalo maret

Cotocachi street

Bryn with the most delicious cheese-filled criossant ever!


4. The bus ride back from Otovalo was a different experience for me: I got to ride in what I imagine is called the "captain's chair." The bus was almost full, and the only seat left was right beside the bus driver in the very front.  I have never been able to see out the front of the bus when I have been riding in it - maybe for the better.  As those who have been on a SAmerican bus, they tend to pass other cars/busses pretty much whenever they want, even if there are cars and or busses coming the other way.  Makes for a pretty adventurous ride being able to see it!  Good thing my stomach was starting to get back to normal, or the recklessness may have caused an accident!

5. After an early to bed when I got back from Otovalo, I packed up and headed for Colombia.  Even though it has a reputation for being unsafe and laden with drugs, the country has really changed over the past 10 years.  While there is still crime and Guerilla activity in some remote parts, everyone who I have talked to up to this point says that Colombia is safe and for many, their favorite country.  Unfortunately, before getting to be there, I had to suffer through a day of a few flights and an 8 hour layover in Lima.  Fortunately the Lima airport has wifi, so I spent the majority of the day catching up on emails and face-stalking.  I did NOT eat though - the prices in the airport were freaking ridiculous.  Even more expensive than what you would find in an American or European airport.  The cheapest actual food item at each of the three restaurants servicing flyers was a hot dog at $5.50...$5.50??!?  You gotta be kidding me...no chicken/pork/beef/turkey food item is worth that!  I refused, so I snacked on leftover hiking raisins and almonds and a granola bar.  Both flights were a little bumpy because of crossing the Andes, but we made it safe and sound to Bogota.  More about the city later!

“A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” - Tim Cahill (adventure writer who drove the length of the Panamerica)

The best part about the past few days was the people that I got to hang out and remember hanging out with 5 years ago.  Jazzing around on my own made me think about all of the awesome people that I met in Ecuador the first time around.  The people I met this time around were just as cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment