Wednesday, May 11, 2011

C'mon get higher (altitude, that is)

May 10th, 2011

5:45 came early this morning.  I think it is the earliest I have gotten up since I was staying in Baltimore and working in DC this past winter break.  I kind of like getting up the early because you have so much time left in the day to do things.  There are barely any people out at that time either, so you get to really see the streets of a town without the usual peds coming and going.  I was planning on taking a town bus out to the station to catch the bus to Cajas National Park, but they didn't seem to be any running and no one around waiting.  So, I splurged on a $2 cab ride.  Luckily, we pulled into the station right as the 6:15 bus was leaving, so I got on that one and had an early start. 

Cajas has one of the highest concentration of lakes anywhere in the world.  I think there are over 270 in the park, give or take a few.  The terrain is called the "paramo," and it is characterized by a lot of scrubby grass, quinoa trees, rocky crags jutting out from the ground, and a few flowers.  It really is a pretty breathtaking place...reminds me a little bit of some of the scenes from Lord of the Rings.  The altitude ranges anywhere from the mid 12,000s to around 14,000ft.

I got to the park at a little after 7 and started hiking.  I realized that I am in some definite need of some acclimitazation before attempting the Cotopaxi (over 19,000 feet...coming in a week and a half) hike.  I was short of breath when climbing up, and when I stood up from sitting down or taking a picture close to the ground  got a little light headed.  Overall though, I think my fitness is pretty good to give the big one a shot.  I had the park pretty much to myself other than an Ecuadorian fisher and another couple that had camped the night before.  It was definitely cold though.  I wore a tossle cap all day and had a fleece on.  Molly really would have enjoyed the hiking, it would have been nice to have her along!  I thought of Kristal being in heaven with all of the quinoa trees too!
PN Cajas
Quinoa tree on the lake


While I was hiking, I thought about things a little bit.  How did I wind up here?  A small-town kinda guy from western PA trekking through the remote Andes...to tell you the truth, I have no idea.  I guess it started when I got interested in Spanish, learning the language, and going to places where I could use it.  My first trip overseas (other than Canada...that doesn't count) was to this very country and was almost 5 years ago, 5 years!  Crazy how fast time passes.  I don't know if back then I had it in me to trek out on my own, but that was the start of me being able to.
Representing western PA

I have talked to a lot of people in the past years that tell me that they couldn't do it - get on a plane, go to a foreign country, travel around without a plan or a set place to stay.  I'd like to think that everyone could, it just takes a little bit of adventurous spirit, willingness to get turned around in the wrong direction, and epically fail a few times here and there.  I used to get nervous about finding a bus somewhere or getting a room for the night, but anymore I don't.  Things always seem to work themselves out, kinda like it does in life in general.  How do I do it, just get up and go?   Maybe it is knowing the language, or maybe was my parents or people around me always telling me I could do anything I wanted to in life.  Anyway, I guess I hope if anyone is reading this who is thinking about taking a risk, do it.  I haven't a few times in my life and I really regret it.

The rest of the day was pretty relaxed.  I got a HUGE headache at about 3:30.  I wasn't sure if it was the altitude or what, but then I realized that I hadn't had caffeine in about a day and a half.  Bad sign.  I picked up a coke, drank half of it, took a nap, and was better.  One thing to add to the list for the near future: reduce my caffeine intake, starting now!  I also made the best batch of guacamole for dinner that I have ever made (Nelly, you would have been impressed).  The avocados (and other veg) here are bomb.  I ate three avocados worth of guac. Probably not the greatest dinner, but delicious nonetheless.  I am off for Riobamba early tomorrow where I'm planning on taking a day trip out to the base camps of Chimborazo, the highest point in Ecuador.
Guac and Ronditos

"You can do itttttttttttttt" - Curly haired guy from every Adam Sandler movie

No comments:

Post a Comment