Friday, May 13, 2011

Rio- Rio- Rio- Rio- Bamba

May 12th, 2011 (I am going to be a day behind...no wifi right now in the hostel)

I jetted from Cuenca pretty early this morning and found my way on an 8am bus to Riobamba.  6.5 long hours later, I arrived in the town.  The scenery on the bus ride was spectacular, but other than that it was a normal ride.  I am surprised at the quality of buses here.  I had more leg room than I ever have on a U.S. bus.  I did give a Kichwa woman 65 cents for her bus fare because she didn't have any change.  Hopefully that will bring me good luck for the rest of my travels!

Riobamba is a medium-sized provincial city.  To be honest, there is not much here.  The town itself is a mixture of newer and colonial style buildings, with a few nice parks.  I checked into my second choice hostel (Rincon de la Sierra) after my first was full.  Mariela, the manager, knows what she is talking about and was very helpful.  It may have been a bad choice though as we are apparently located right above a karaoke bar that is now blaring music (8:45pm). Earplugs will be coming out tonight.  After finding a room, I walked around the city a little bit, found lunch, ate an ice cream sandwhich in a park, and sat in the sun...which was out for about 3 hours today which is strange for the winter.  I grabbed a Nescafe and read for an hour or so, hit up the grocery store for supplies for tomorrow and a tablet, and then had my first Ecua-chinese food experience.

Some interesting interactions/observations I have had over the past few days:
1. Yesterday, which I forgot to write about, I was eating lunch at a small place. The lunch wasn't great, but filling and cheap.  When I started into my desert, a woman who I later found out to be named Veronica, came and sat at the table that I was sitting at.  She asked me if I was alone (me replying yes), and then continued to ask me where I was and what I do.  We chatted for about 10 minutes or so.  I couldn't decide what to think about this situation.  First thought: I was being propositioned sexually. I don't think that was the case since this girl was respectably dressed, seemed reasonably intellignet, and apparently worked on a phone cabinas place. Second thought: this girl has balls.  To just go over to a strange gringo's table who is eating by himself must have been intimidating.  I give her credit no matter what her intentions.  Third thought: Greeeeen Card!!!!!!!! Was this woman talking to me to just for my American status?  Likely.  Anyway, I got up to leave because I had some more exploring to do and was leaving Cuenca in the morning.  It would have been a pretty awkward night taking this girl on a date!  We parted and I didn't see her again.
2. Old man at restaurant where I was eating lunch hollers over at me: "Where are you from?" Me: "The U.S." Him: "You speak Spanish well, how long have you been living in Ecuador?" Me: "Oh...I don't live here, I am just visiting" Him: "Well you should marry a Latina and take her back with you then." Me: "Maybe, we'll see." Old men act the same and say whatever they want no matter what country you are in. 
3. I was enjoying my Magnum reverse ice-cream sandwhich (chocolate ice cream in the middle and vanilla cookie on the outside) sitting in the stoop of a church watching  some kids who had roller blading practice in the park across from me.  Sounds creepy I know, watching kids in a park with a Magnum. No worries, Ecuador will not have to issue an Amber alert because of me.  But, this is NOT the main focal point of the story. As I was sitting there, somebody tossles my hair a little bit from behind.  As you can imagine, I was a little bit stunned.  I know absolutely no one in Riobamba, Ecuador.  I look to my right and see a woman, probably in her 50s, with a low cut top and tightttttttt pink pants on.  She looks at me, purses her lips to give me a far-away kiss, and says: "Hi there fella, how are you?" and winks at me. I kinda giggle and don't really say anything because I don't know how to react. Finally, I stammer out "No, gracias."  I am 100% sure that I was being propositioned this time. Cougars, whether expecting money for sex or not, are everywhere.  Young men, either beware or take advantage.  
4. Bigger women (who aren't indigenous) wear too tight of clothes, especially pants, in Ecuador just like they do in the U.S. The camel toe here seems to be worse though.  I have seen enough of it to last a lifetime.  Just sayin, ladies, cover it up (cubrela!!).
5. There are more emo types here than what I expected.  A lot of the younger folk, guys expecially, wear tight black jeans with those emo shoes.
6. A Chifa, or Ecuadorian chinese food restaurant, is just like an American one.  They dish up a shit-ton of hot, greasy, high MSG food for almost nothing and are staffed by asians only it seems.  They are also just as delicious as American ones.  I had noodles with veg and egg.  Pretty tasty!

Some things are really different here, but a lot is really similar to home.  Everyday life around the world is universal in some aspects, and strinkingly contrasting in others.  One of the best things about traveling is that you get to see and understand this first hand.

Tomorrow, I am taking a 5:45AM bus to Volcan Chimborazo, which means early to bed tonight. More details manana!

“Basically we are all the same human beings with the same potential to be a good human being or a bad human being ... The important thing is to realize the positive side and try to increase that; realize the negative side and try to reduce. That's the way.” - The Dalai Lama

2 comments:

  1. Oh, there's so much to cover here.

    1. Totally snag yourself a hot woman. Who cares if she only sexes you up for a green card. You would have hot kids.
    2. He's on to something.
    3. Hot, STD'd cougar. C'mon Luke! Have you learned nothing in life? Take advantage!
    4. Muffin tops are universal!
    5. Emo was so 2000. Didn't they get the memo?
    6. That's amazing to me. Simply amazing.

    You were such a nice boy for giving 65 cents. Yay for good Karma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jajaja Con respeto a los camiones, estoy completamente de acuerdo! El sistema estadounidense puede aprender mucho de sus amigos al sur de la frontera...

    Me ENCANTARON tus experiencas con todas las mujeres! jajaj Me muero de risa XD

    Ten cuidado pero disfruta al máximo de cada momento!! =)

    ReplyDelete